Highest-Performance Server for Mac Clients
HELIOS EtherShare UB2 allows easy integration of powerful servers into Mac networks. It provides an extremely fast, reliable, feature-rich Apple compatible file and print server to unlock UNIX performance for Mac clients. It is well known for its reliability, performance, and ease-of-use.
Mac OS X and AFP 3.3 Support ensures full compatibility with Apple standards, including support of Spotlight searches and Time Machine backups. It works with any Mac out of the box, without the need to train users. EtherShare installs on the server in minutes. All further management is done remotely via HELIOS Admin with an easy to use GUI interface. It is simple to configure users, groups, volumes, print spoolers, server settings, log files, etc. EtherShare offers impressive file and print services with easy remote administration, Spotlight searches for file names, text, and metadata, and the ability to save Time Machine backups to the server.
The TCP/IP based file server can fully utilize faster networks like Gigabit or 10 Gigabit Ethernet.
TCP/IP Print Spooling via the EtherShare exclusive TCP printer drivers supports mDNS (“Bonjour”) for easy printer selection on Mac OS X clients, with automatic setup of the PPD. Detailed print job accounting information is easily reviewed or exported to other programs.
Authentication via LDAP, AD/PDC, NIS and local server users is fully supported by the HELIOS Authentication server included in HELIOS Base.
EtherShare Scales well from small sites with only a few Macs to enterprise sites with the most demanding requirements, and always remains easy to administer. EtherShare is tightly integrated with ImageServer, PDF HandShake, and PrintPreview to serve the widest range of prepress needs. Add PCShare and WebShare for a true cross-platform solution.
HELIOS supports a variety of server platforms with equal feature sets, identical administration, and same release dates. This gives customers the flexibility to choose the right server for their
needs, budgets, and future plans.
- Fast, menu-driven installation, easy installation for system administrators
- No special drivers for file & print services required
- Optional TCP Bonjour printer driver
- Remote server administration from Mac OS X, Windows, and UNIX via HELIOS Admin
- Manages users, groups, volumes and printers, server settings and logs
- System & printer administrator groups
- Volume and printer sharing
- Server auditing/monitoring support
- TCP/IP access lists management
- Manage spool queues with “drag and drop” ease
- Handle printer accounting data
- Manage detailed accounting information including fonts used, pages, etc.
HELIOS “dt” Utilities
Time Machine backup support
Time Machine backups to EtherShare volumes are supported. The “HELIOS TM Image Builder” and “HELIOS TM Browser” utilities offer customized backup disk images and backup status monitoring.
- AFP 3.3 compatible for Mac OS X clients including long file name support, large file support, server reconnect and sleep-wakeup support, and full UNIX permissions
- TCP/IP & AppleTalk PAP print spooler
- TCP/IP printer drivers for Mac OS X with Bonjour printer discovery
- TCP/IP printer drivers for Mac OS 8/9
- User authentication for local host users, LDAP, NIS, and AD/PDC users via included authentication server
- Desktop database for super fast “Find File” and Mac file ID support
- Smart permissions to automatically inherit permissions from parent folder
- Full Mac OS 8/9 client compatibility
- Windows NTFS file stream support handles streams for copy/move, etc.
- UTF-8 Unicode volumes allow the same file names for UNIX, Windows, Mac and Web clients
- Quota support
- Additional EtherShare network tools help to analyze and troubleshoot the network: HELIOS LanTest, HELIOS File System Test, Xtar, etc.
Advanced Printing System
For more details see HELIOS Base.
Optional Printing Features
HELIOS Base benefits
Flexible Licensing Scheme